From 1102 until 1526, Dubrovnik was part of the Kingdom of Croatia in union with Hungary. A symbol of this protective arrangement was a legendary knight named Orlando (also called Rolando). A larger than life sculpture of the hero stands on this column that bears his name in Luža Square. It was sculpted in 1418. During Medieval and Renaissance times, the platform on top was used by orators for proclamations. The square was the venue for public punishments.