Orion Powerhouse Gallery in Akaroa, New Zealand - Encircle Photos

20 Orion Powerhouse Gallery in Akaroa, New Zealand

This brick façade at the base of L’ Aube Hill contained a hydroelectric generator when it was built in 1911. Together with a gas engine added later, the power plant operated until the mid-1950s. In 1970, Patricia Bosshard converted the abandoned building into a concert hall and a gallery for Banks Peninsula artists. The venue was renamed Orion Powerhouse Gallery when the Christchurch electric company Orion New Zealand Limited became a significant benefactor.

VIEW MAP

1 Rue Pompallier, Akaroa 7520, New Zealand

Directions

Share this Photo