During the Gold Rush in 1849, it was challenging to convert mined gold into coins. So, in 1852, Congress established the San Francisco Mint. In 1874, this imposing stone, classic revival building with fluted columns began manufacturing coins. It earned the nickname “Granite Lady” after surviving the 1906 earthquake. The mint operations moved in 1937. The Old Mint is now available for special events but may become the San Francisco Museum at the Mint in the future.