The original Saint Mary’s Cathedral, which was called the Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Immaculate Conception when it was built in 1854, has a handsome brick bell tower. Below the clock is the inscription, “Son, Observe the Time and Fly from Evil.” It was rebuilt in 1909 after being destroyed by the 1906 earthquake fires. Although it is still called a cathedral, it is now a parish church. The new cathedral for the Archdiocese of San Francisco is located in the Cathedral Hill neighborhood. Please see its photo elsewhere in this gallery.