The Regatta Club of Cartagena was founded in 1905 by a few young sailing enthusiasts. Two years later, these ingenious lads invited King Alfonso XIII to be the club’s honorary president. His acceptance gave them royal status. As membership quickly grew, they built this clubhouse at the end of a pier in 1912. Architect Mario Spottorno created the simple yet distinguished design. The club’s headquarters moved in 1985. In 2001, this property of cultural interest was destroyed by fire. The Antiguo Club de Regatas de Cartagena was rebuilt in 2006.