This view of the Old Fortress from Solomos Square along Garitsa Bay shows how enormous it is: 1,968 feet long and 656 feet wide. The huge wall in the foreground is one of two bastions flanking its main gate. They are named Martinego and Savorgnan after the engineers who designed them. The Greek temple is St. George’s church. At the peak is a lighthouse called Castel a Terra. On the left is a bell tower. This fort survived three attacks by the Ottomans during the Sieges of 1537, 1571 and 1716.