36 Old Fortress and New Fortress in Corfu, Greece

Corfu is a Greek island in the Ionian Sea and also the name of its largest city. The Old Fortress in the center dates back to the 6th century during the Byzantine Period when this town was called Koryfo (means summit) or Corcyra in Latin. The early fortification was expanded during the 12th century, significantly replaced during the Republic of Venice’s rule from 1386 – 1797 and then extensively modified by the British. The Venetians also constructed the New Fortress on the left during the mid-16th century. Most of what is seen today was constructed while Corfu was a protectorate of the United Kingdom from 1815 until 1864. Both fortifications are UNESCO World Heritage Sites. This view from the Bay of Garitsa makes it easy to see why the Greek’s call this Kastropolis or Castle City.

VIEW MAP

Ikoumenikou Patriarchou Athinagora, Kerkira 491 00, Greece

Directions

Share this Photo