Odderøya is reachable by footbridge in the southeast section of Kristiansand. From 1667 until 1999 it was a large naval base. The island also had an unsavory role as a quarantine station for cholera victims for 110 years starting in 1804. Most of the military facilities are gone leaving behind less than two miles of undeveloped walking paths. They lead to terrific views of the fjord and an 1832 lighthouse. At the beginning of the park is the Miljøfyrtårn building. The Eco-Lighthouse Foundation sets standards and then issues certificates to businesses that demonstrate their eco-friendly operations.