The Norwegian Iron Church was built along the waterfront in 1868 to provide religious services to merchant seamen from Norway who traveled in and out of the Cardiff docks. For obvious reasons, they nicknamed it the Little White Church. After shipping declined, the church closed in 1974. It was disassembled in 1987, restored within Waterfront Park in 1992 and underwent a major refurbishment in 2011. Now it serves as a gallery called the Norwegian Church Arts Centre.