The North Tower of the Primate Cathedral of St. Mary is a masterpiece of Gothic design. The bell tower anchors the Plaza del Ayuntamiento at 146 feet. Alvar Martínez finished the lower half in 1380. Hanequin de Bruselas created the second half capped with the dynamic, slate spire. Inside the belfry is the San Eugenio, named after Toledo’s first Christian bishop. Also known as La Campana Gorda, the bell weighs 19.3 tons and is still the largest in Spain. Two months after the Fat Bell was installed in 1775, it cracked.