The Charles V Wall is a major, zigzagging curtainwall spanning from the Upper Rock of Gibraltar down to the south end of the city. This was Muralla de San Benito (St. Benedict’s Wall) when commissioned by Charles V during his reign as the King of Spain (1516 to 1556). Initial construction was completed in 1540 and then expanded until the end of the century. The only narrow entrance through the wall was Africa Gate, built in 1552. In 1883, this adjacent and much larger New Southport gate was constructed. On top is the coat of arms for Queen Victoria, the reigning monarch of the United Kingdom at the time.