New Holland Arch in Saint Petersburg, Russia - Encircle Photos

New Holland Arch in Saint Petersburg, Russia

New Holland Island in central Saint Petersburg is a wedge-shaped islet defined by two canals and the Moyka River. It was created in 1719 by command of Peter the Great as a port for the Imperial Russian Navy (Admiralty Board). Warehouses and shipbuilding facilities were soon added. The tsar also commissioned a modest summer palace on the island. In 1779, this Neoclassical archway with Tuscan columns became the entrance to New Holland Island from the river. New Holland Arch was designed by Jean-Baptiste Vallin de la Mothe. The arch is 75 feet tall and constructed with red granite blocks.

VIEW MAP

New Holland Island, Sankt-Peterburg, Russia, 190121

Directions

Share this Photo