The National Library of Chile was founded in 1813. Since then, it has amassed a collection of over one million books, documents and records. It also houses the country’s archives. This main branch of the Biblioteca Nacional de Chile was built in 1925. It is located on Avenida Libertador Bernardo O’Higgins which is named after the library’s founder. Bernardo O’Higgins was instrumental during the Chilean War of Independence in the early 19th century for securing the country’s freedom from Spanish rule. He also served as the second Supreme Director of Chile.