Captain Andrew Haig arrived in Hobart Town in 1824 aboard his cargo ship, The Snipe. After purchasing land, he moved to New Zealand for nine years. When he returned, he built a warehouse along Salamanca Place to facilitate his shipbuilding and maritime trade. In 1837, he commissioned this Georgian sandstone home in Battery Point. Since 1955, Narryna has been a museum with period furnishings reflecting the lifestyle of the colonial upper class. Narryna Heritage Museum is one of two Hobart House Museums on Hampden Road. They are operated by the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery.