Ahuriri is a short drive from central Napier. During the late-19th century colonial era, this was the main commercial port serving the Hawke’s Bay Region. After Port Ahuriri was heavily damaged during the 1931 earthquake, large sea vessels began docking closer to Napier. These sheltered waters continued mooring sailboats. Napier Sailing Club was founded in 1891, making it New Zealand’s oldest.