Praia dos Ossos means Bones Beach. The name is derived from the abundance of whale bones that frequently washed ashore. The Portuguese began indiscriminately harvesting whales along the Brazilian coast in the early 17th century. Until 1768, many of the mammals were processed here so the oil and meat could be shipped to Portugal. The carcasses were left behind. In the background are Sant’Ana Church and the Búzios Yacht Club. Praia dos Ossos is also a good spot to catch a water taxi to other beaches or back to town.