In the mid-17th century, Carmelite sisters took up residency in the Monastery of San Josè. This was built on the foundation of the former home of Mariana of Jesús de Paredes, the patron saint of Ecuador. Her family donated the property to the Discalced Carmelites after her death in 1645. Now called the Museo del Carmen Alto, the building remains an active convent for nuns. It also offers a museum of religious art plus exhibits chronicling the life of Mariana de Jesús. The museum is affiliated with Museo de la Ciudad (City Museum).