Henry Arthur Herbert was a member of Parliament and the Chief Secretary of Ireland during the mid-19th century. He commissioned William Burn to design this incredible residence. The Muckross House was finished in 1843. Its namesake is the Muckross Peninsula where this 65 room, Tudor mansion stands with a panoramic view of the lake. In 1899, it was purchased by Arthur Guinness, the great-grandson of the famous Irish stout brewmaster. In 1911, the house was acquired by William Bourn and then given to his daughter and son-in-law, Arthur Rose Vincent, as a wedding present. Twenty-one years later, the family gifted it to Ireland. Together with the surrounding 11 acres, the property became the Bourn Vincent National Park. Since then it has become part of the larger Killarney National Park.