In the early 16th century, conquering Spaniards enslaved the Taíno. But as these indigenous people died from infectious diseases, the Spanish began importing Africans to work the gold mines and later the plantations. On March 22, 1873, the practice was abolished. However, the slaves had to work for another three years and then pay for their freedom. This 1956 monument is dedicated to the abolition of slavery. At the base of the 100 foot, marble obelisk is an iron statue of a slave with broken chains. Monumento A La Abolición De La Esclavitud is located in Parque de la Abolición.