In the late 17th century period known as “William and Mary,” King William III and his wife Queen Mary II ruled over England, Scotland, Ireland and the Netherlands. In 1686, they built a palace in Apeldoom, Netherlands, called Paleis Het Loo. This “pleasure house” remained in the Orange-Nassau dynasty until 1962. In back is a large garden with gorgeous flowerbeds traversed by groomed walkways, sculpted hedges and elaborate statues. In the Upper Garden is the 43 foot King’s Fountain. It is adorned with golden, Greek mythology gods and goddesses including these mermen blowing conch shells at the base.