These front steps of Merchants Arch lead into a bar and restaurant housed in the former Merchants Guild Hall. Guild meetings were conducted here for 20 years starting in 1821. Only one other hall remains standing in Dublin. The building designed by Frederick Darley is located on the River Liffey’s south bank in the Temple Bar neighborhood. During medieval times, it was named St. Andrews Parish. After decades of neglect, the area is now popular for its nightlife and cultural institutions.