The site of the Church of the Holy Ghost has an interesting history. A Franciscan monastery was built here in 1238. At the end of the 13th century, the Hospital of the Holy Ghost was added. When the complex became an abbey in 1469, the Helligåndskirken was built. Parts of the original church exist today. For example, this Renaissance portal dates back to 1630. However, much of Helligaands Kirken was destroyed during the great city fire of 1728 and was subsequently rebuilt.