On the left is a bronze statue by George Cannon Adams of Sir Charles James Napier. The general was the Commander-in-Chief of the British army who ended a Muslim insurrection in India and then became the Governor of Sindh Province. This memorial was erected in 1856. In the center of Trafalgar Square is a 169 foot, Corinthian column surrounded by four bronze lions. It was designed by William Railton. The granite and bronze Nelson’s Column honors Horatio Nelson. The admiral was killed in 1805 while leading the British naval victory at the Battle of Trafalgar. In the background is the former Grand Hotel built in 1881. The structure has been commercial offices since 1990.