Next door to the Charles Q. Clapp House is an older estate: the McLellan-Sweat Mansion. The Federal Era design by architect John Kimball was finished in 1801. The original owner was Hugh McLellan. He was the leader of Maine’s shipping industry until the early 1800s. In 1816, Charles Clapp lived here. Another notable resident was Lorenzo Sweat. This late 19th century politician was a state senator and U.S. representative for Maine. Since 2002, the McLellan House has been part of the Portland Museum of Art.