Adjacent to the Massachusetts State House are three row houses. They were built in 1825 on land originally owned by John Hancock. The center unit was purchased in 1853 by the widow of Dr. George Parkman. She wanted isolation after her wealthy husband’s brutal death, sensational trial and the execution of his murderer. George Francis Parkman was one of two siblings who also lived here. When he died in 1908, his home was bequeathed to the city along with the staggering sum of almost $5.5 million dollars to maintain local parks. The mansion was extensively renovated in 1972 and then used almost exclusively by Kevin White while he was mayor until 1984. The Parkman House is now the official reception hall of Boston’s mayor. The four floors of this incredible mansion contain about 9,000 square feet.