After forming a convent and school in Belfast, the Sisters of Mercy wanted to establish a hospital. In 1883, the former Bedeque House on Crumlin Road was purchased. They called their new institution Mater Infirmorum, meaning Mother of the Sick. In 1900, it was expanded by occupying seven red brick terrace houses. The acute and teaching hospital now has over 1,000 employees. Attached to this legacy building is an enormous, late 20th century glass addition.