Here are two Edinburgh landmarks on Calton Hill. The 90 foot sandstone obelisk on the left is the Political Martyrs’ Monument. It is a tribute to five men who were imprisoned for 14 years beginning in 1793 for strongly advocating parliamentary reform. The monument was erected in 1844 in the Old Calton Burial Ground. This graveyard was established in 1718. It is the final resting place for many of Edinburgh’s famous residents through 1869 when the cemetery was closed. The castle on the right is the Governor’s House. When it was built in 1817, it was a fraction of the Calton Gaol. The balance of the enormous prison was demolished in 1937.