This obelisk stands on Witch Hill near the Royal and Ancients Clubhouse at the Old Course at St Andrews. The Martyrs’ Memorial is a tribute to those who were killed during the Scottish Reformation against the Catholic Church. Patrick Hamilton was executed in 1528 followed by Henry Forrest in 1533. George Wishart was burnt at the stake in 1546 as was Walter Mill in 1558. Other protestants were imprisoned at the hands of the French and English until the Scottish Reformation Parliament adopted Protestantism in 1560. This 33 foot monument designed by William Nixon was erected in 1842.