Soon after the French nun Marguerite Bourgeoys arrived at Fort Ville-Marie (today’s Montreal) in 1653, she established a convent for educating girls and Indigenous people. She called her non-cloistered religious community the Congrégation de Notre Dame. In 1998, a museum was established to herald her life and contributions to colonial Montreal. It is located inside of Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Chapel. Bourgeoys built the first chapel in 1678. After a devasting fire in 1754, the current Our Lady of Good Help was finished in 1771. The saint’s remains are interred in the sanctuary. On top of the chapel are two angels flanking the Star of the Sea with outstretched hands. This image of the Virgin Mary protected sailors as they left the port for their voyages.