There are two statues of the Madonna along the north side of Charles Bridge. This statuary is the work of Matěj Václav Jäcke. It was unveiled in 1708. On the left is Saint Dominic (1170 – 1221). While a Catholic priest, Dominic of Caleruega founded the Dominican Order in 1216. Holding the Bible is Saint Thomas Aquinas (1225 – 1274). This Dominican friar was a great philosopher and theologian. His doctrines included the nature of God, sin and the Trilogy.