Beginning in 1753, the Danish Lutherans began worshiping in their newly consecrated Lutheran Church of the Sabaoth (now the Steeple Building) near the fort. After hurricanes in 1825 and 1827 damaged the building, services were temporarily moved to St. John’s Anglican Church (shown earlier in this guide). But a closer and more permanent solution was desired. So, in 1831, the congregation purchased the Dutch Reformed Church. It was built in 1740, qualifying as the oldest church on the island. They renovated the church for three years while adding the bell tower. Next, the interior fixtures from the Steeple Building were moved in. The new name became the Lord God of Sabaoth Lutheran Church.