János Marschalkó was commissioned to create lions for the Chain Bridge. They were added to both sides of the river in 1852, about three years after the bridge was finished. Their presence implied protection of this critical transportation link between Buda and Pest. However, they could not guard against the Germans. The retreating Nazis blew up the bridge in 1945 during the waning days of World War II. The current Széchenyi Iánchid (Chain Bridge) was reconstructed within four years. Yet these are the original lion sculptures.