The location of San Sebastián Castle reaches out into the Atlantic Ocean. The Muslims and Venetians both took advantage of this position by building watchtowers. The first lighthouse was established in 1776. A new one was added in 1855 and demolished in 1898. It was replaced with this 135 foot skeletal tower in 1913 designed by Rafael de la Cerda. The Castillo de San Sebastián Lighthouse remains operational.