The Byzantines selected the highest peak of the peninsula to construct their early fortifications. They called it Sea-Tower. In 1822, the Greeks built their country’s first stone lighthouse – Paleo Enetiko Frouno – on the other peak called Land Tower. It is a hike up the Castel a Terra (Castle Near the Land) summit to reach the top but the views of the city and bays are worth the climb. The light is nearly 210 feet tall.