Puerto Rico’s first lighthouse was constructed at Castillo San Felipe del Morro in 1846. The beacon at the mouth of San Juan Bay was replaced twice before the U.S. Coast Guard built the current version in 1908 using a Moorish Revival design. The square, crenellated tower only stands 51 feet. Yet its position on the sixth level of El Morro adds 140 feet of height. Fans of lighthouses will be pleased to learn there are ten more active faros on the island.