A swing bridge was used to connect Minnesota with Wisconsin until 1931 when the Stillwater Bridge opened for two lanes of traffic. The middle of its 1,050 span over the St. Croix River is raised 140 feet to allow for passage of tall ships. Over the decades, the structure became deficient and notorious for gridlock. In 2017, it was replaced by the St. Croix Crossing Bridge. Fortunately, the river’s landmark was spared demolition by being listed with National Register of Historic Places. The lift bridge is now used by pedestrians and cyclists.