Liberty Bridge in Budapest, Hungary

In 1896, Franz Joseph – the Emperor of Australia and King of Hungary – opened this bridge designed by Virgil Nagy. The 1,100 foot span over the Danube was named in the king’s honor. The bridge was destroyed by Germans troops in 1945 and reconstructed within a year after WWII ended. The cantilever truss was then renamed the Liberty or Freedom Bridge. Notice the birds atop the spires on either side of the lamppost. This falcon-like bird is a Turul, the country’s national symbol.

VIEW MAP

Budapest, Szabadság híd, 1118 Hungary

Directions

Share this Photo