A prominent landmark overshadowing the riverfront is the Ministry of Defense. When the twenty-story, French Renaissance structure was completed in 1943, it was Argentina’s largest building. Seven years later, it was named the Liberator Building on the occasion of the 100th year anniversary of General José de San Martín’s death. He was nicknamed The Liberator for winning Argentina’s independence in the early 1800s. A tunnel connects Edificio Liberator to the nearby president’s office, Casa Rosada.