Lesser Town Square (Malostranské Square) has been the cultural and social center of Malá Strana since the 10th century. This also used to be an Italian market. Its visually dominate landmark is St. Nicholas Church. But the modest plaza is also defined by Kaiserstein Palace (rebuilt in 1700) and this former city hall constructed in 1478. Malostranska Beseda housed the mayor and town council members. In 1868, it was converted into a cultural center. The three cupolas were added in 2008 to resemble those from the 17th century. The historic Renaissance building hosts a music and theatre club plus a restaurant and cafe.