The seven acres of manicured gardens encircling the Larnach Castle are exquisite. They are filled with plants from the Southern Hemisphere and have been designated as a Garden of International Significance by the New Zealand Gardens Trust. Equally impressive are the views of the sweeping landscape and the harbor nearly 1,000 feet below. This ornate, glass-domed gazebo is an example of the property’s elegance. It resembles a cupola from a 19th century passenger ship. Jackson Purdie commissioned it during his residency at Larnach Castle from 1927 until 1940.