The Mound is an artificial hill within Old Town. It was created from 1781 until 1830 as 1.5 million cartloads of excavated dirt were dumped here during the creation of New Town. Three of its famous landmarks are the Royal Scottish Academy (left), the Scottish National Gallery (center) and New College (right). All three were designed by William Henry Playfair. He was Edinburgh’s most prolific architect of major landmarks during the first half of the 19th century.