In 1840, King Kamehameha III commissioned the first lighthouse on the Pacific coast. This is the fifth light to be built on the same spot at Lahaina Harbor on Maui Island in Hawaii. This white-washed, concrete, 39 foot tower began operations in 1917. It was converted to solar power in 2009. Today it is managed by the Lahaina Restoration Foundation.