La Boca means “the mouth” of the Mantanza River (also called Riachuelo). After flowing for 40 miles, the river empties into Río de la Plata. Beginning in the early 17th century, this was a small – frankly inadequate – port named La Vuelta de Rocha. It welcomed thousands of Italian immigrants who began flocking to Buenos Aires in the mid-19th century. About fifty years later, a new port was built and these waters became polluted with industrial waste. A riverwalk has since been built to accommodate tourists visiting neighboring Caminito Street. In the background are two bridges. The black one is Puente Transbordador. It operated from 1914 until 1960. After the National Historic Monument was refurbished, it reopened in 2017. Behind it is the Avellaneda Bridge, built in 1940.