When Gothenburg was founded in 1621, much of the land was marshy. During most of the 17th century, Dutch engineers built fortified walls and moats around the city. This means of defense was short lived when the ramparts proved ineffective against enemy cannons. The walls were torn down around 1810. About forty years later, this square was constructed at the location of the old King’s Gate. This used to be the main portal into the city. The plaza is named Kungsportsplatsen or King’s Port Place. Above the craftsman selling wicker baskets is the equestrian statue of King Charles IX of Sweden. Karl IX reigned from 1604 until 1611.