George V, the grandson of Queen Victoria, became King of the United Kingdom in 1910. When he died in 1936, the Australian government wanted to create a memorial for its former sovereign. The tribute was designed by Rayner Hoff, sculpted by John Moorfield and built by architect Harry Foskett. The statue portrays George V holding an orb and scepter, the traditional symbols of a monarch’s power. On the reverse side is an equestrian sculpture of Saint George. Created in 1953, the monument was moved to the Old Parliament House in 1968.