This is the southeast round tower, one of three still standing at Kilkenny Castle. There used to be a fourth one, but it and the eastern rampart were destroyed by Oliver Cromwell’s army in 1650. Prior to that bombardment, the towers, adjoining curtain walls plus the city walls where the cornerstones for Hightown’s defense for over 400 years. The castle was sieged a second time in 1922 during the Irish Civil War. Today, this is the ornate entrance of the Anglo-Norman castle.