The first lighthouse at Key West was erected in 1825. A devastating hurricane destroyed it in 1846. Two years later, it was replaced by the current light and then extended to a height of 73 feet in 1894. The widow of the first keeper, Barbara Mabrity, maintained the light for 38 years. She was fired at the age of 82 for her outspoken opinions about the Civil War. Members of the Mabrity family worked here for over 85 years! The Key West Lighthouse was decommissioned in 1969 and is now a museum. Walking up its 88 steps provides a wonderful view of the historic district.