Karl Johans gate is one of the primary pedestrian boulevards in Oslo. This west portion was constructed in the late 1840s in order to connect the inner city with the Royal Place seen in the background. On the left is the Storting, Norway’s Parliament building. Prior to 1852, this street was called Østre Gade. Then it was renamed in honor of Karl Johan. He was king of Norway and Sweden from 1818 until 1844.