Spanish explorer Pedro de Mendoza founded the first settlement along Rio de la Plata in 1536. His sailors credited Santa Maria de los Buenos Aires (Holy Virgin Mary of the Good Winds) for their safe arrival. After five years of attacks by indigenous people, the encampment was abandoned. In 1580, Spanish conquistador Juan de Garay landed at this location (near Plaza de Mayo and Casa Rosada). Garay christened the harbor Santa Maria de los Buenos Aires. Overtime, the city adopted this name. This nearly ten-foot bronze tribute was sculpted by Gustav Heinrich Eberlein in 1915.