In 1868, Martin Wolf started the Martin Wolf Brewing Company. Three years later, his brother Joseph bought the business with partner Joseph Tanner. In 1873, construction of the state’s first steam-powered brewery was complete. The business thrived until crushed by the passage of the Volstead Act. During Prohibition, the company struggled to survive by bottling non-alcoholic beverages but eventually closed in 1925. In 2013, the brand was revitalized and the beer started flowing again, thanks to Joseph’s great-granddaughters. Wolf Beer marketed several craft brews before closing again.